Oct 31, 2011

adoption update

^ Gergana's passport photo.
Look how grown up she is getting!!  Can I just brag on my sister for a minute and mention how stunning her eyes are?  Girl will never need to tan, even with our Canadian winters, PLUS she has curly hair.  Something we have always loved.  And really, her eye brows are perfect.  Just saying.

It has been over a year since we committed to 'Georgia' on Reece's Rainbow.  I can't believe it has been that long.  In some ways it feels shorter then that (it helps that I was in Uganda for 3 of those 13 months.) but in other ways it seems like forever.  I remember when we were hoping to have her home by her birthday.  Yeah that didn't really work out.  June has come and is now long gone.  BUT, after many delays things have moved forward again.  We are waiting on her visa now.  To get it she needs a medical check which has been scheduled for Wednesday - finally!  After that it can be anywhere in between 3 weeks and 6 months before we can go and pick her up.  I really don't think it is going to be that long though.  We have important people interceding on our behalf and we got an encouraging email from our in country facilitator today.  Middle of November is very doable.

Can I be honest and say I'm a little freaked out about that?  Yes, I believe in adoption. Yes, I got my family into this.  Yes, this is a dream come true. Yes, I love Gergana. Yes, I know this is what God wants.  Yes, yes, yes.  But when you are staring at the fact that your whole family is about to be dumped upside down by a tiny, strong willed  9 year old girl, it is a little freaky.  I have read enough about adoption to know that we could be one of the horror stories.  We could end up dealing with attachment issues and other problems that come with being in hospitals/orphanages for 9 years.  Adoption isn't some far away dream anymore.  It's going to happen, and it's going to happen soon.  The reality is that this journey is hard and uncomfortable, and I don't like hard and uncomfortable things.  Plain and simple.  The next few months are going to be wild.  
And that's the truth.

Let the fun begin. 

4 comments:

  1. You are wiser beyond your years. You echo the hidden places of my heart....did you see them? Are we ready for this wild ride? Yes, but not really, but bring it on. For better or for worse, we are jumping in. Thank you for bring Geri into our vision. Yes, let the fun begin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that bit about her eyebrows~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your mother's comments. I did a post very similar to this one last night...or at least similar to what I suspect you will experience too. Surprised by some of the things you will encounter with Jordyn and wonderfully delighted in ways you could have never imagined! I can't wait for her to absolutely blow your mind like Julia has blown ours. What resilient, special little spirits God has chosen for our family. That's one thing that has always resounded in my mind--we didn't choose Julia. God chose her for us. How incredibly flattering for your family that God KNOWS you are an amazing enough group to raise her with everything she needs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tears of joy and anticipation for your family......

    God will provide ALL you need as you are turned upside down and inside out.....

    Love you guys so much, can't wait to see HER HOME!!

    Hugs and so much love~

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Your thoughts and opinions and questions and everything in between. Drop me a note!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design