Dec 1, 2012

World AIDS Day

December 1st is officially World AIDS Day.  What does that mean?  It means that people all over the world take today to support people living with HIV/AIDS and to spread awareness about this disease.  In 2010 it was estimated that 34 million people were living with HIV/AIDS worldwide.  Many of those people are innocent victims who are now sentenced to a life of stigma because of other people's actions.  

There is a rise all over the world in orphans living with HIV/AIDS.  These children are dear to my heart.  I have seen first hand the stigma that these children have to deal with and it is not pretty.  You would be amazed by how normal these children are.  How lovable and 100% NOT scary they are.  I have loved children with HIV.  I have hugged them and kissed them.  Played with them and shared food with them.  Having the HIV virus in their body really is no big deal.  But people all over the world make it a big deal.

So here I am.  In honor of all the children I love who are living with HIV, telling you the TRUTH about the virus.  Please open your mind and get out of the dark ages.

What you need to know:
  • -HIV is considered a chronic but manageable disease with proper treatment, Much like Diabetes!

  • -Children who receive treatment are expected to live a normal lifespan.

  • -HIV has never been transmitted in normal family living conditions.

  • -You NEVER have to fear contracting HIV through casual contact with an HIV+ person.

  • -HIV is spread in three main ways: sexual contact, IV drug use through the sharing of dirty needles,  mother to infant (pregnancy, birth or breast feeding.)

  • -With medications HIV can be effectively managed to the point that the virus is undetectable in laboratory tests.

Visit Project Hopeful for more information.

Please change the way you think about HIV.  It is not as scary as it used to be.  Be informed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All over the world children with HIV are sitting in orphanages.  They are usually the last children to be chosen for adoption, because of their HIV.  These children are typically developing children who will live long and normal lives in a family and with access to medication.  The sad reality is that people see their HIV status and turn the other way.  Not only that but they are not always provided with the medications they need while they are in the orphanage, giving them even less of a chance at a healthy life.  In their own countries they face stigma and when they age out of their orphanages at 16 they will have no way of getting a job.  Their future is so very bleak.

So what can we do?  We can get these children out of their orphanages and into families before it is too late.  We can provide them with medical care.  With normal family love.  We can teach them about Jesus.  They will have a chance at a future.  These children do not need perfect families.  They just need families willing to look past their HIV Status and take the leap of faith for them.  To teach them that they are more then a medical status, they are unique and made in the image of God.

Here are 2 HIV+ children waiting for families.  Please pray for them.  Look past their status.  Share their stories.  Maybe donate to their grant fund?  I don't care, just do something.  Even if it is just taking a moment to look at their picture.  They are normal children who long for a family.


Weston.
Photobucket

Anastasia.
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Love your heart and love this post, Joanna. Thanks for speaking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this. I have to admit until this year i was still so ignorant about HIV! I still believed the staus quo from the 90's!! I have been floored by my new understanding! thankyou Joanna you are so wonderful! Joanna do you want to choose a child for the gallery? xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good-day every one, my name is Mike Clinton, i want to share my experience with the general public on how i got my hiv aids cured, i have been reading so-many post of some people who were cured of hiv, but i never believed them, but one day bi wanted to tests the faith of the DR OGBOLE, then i contacted him on his email on DROGBOLETEMPLEOFCURE@GMAIL.COM, when i contact him, he told me so many things about my life and so many thing about me which was 100% correct, then i pleaded with him to help me out, then to my greatest surprise he prepared some medicine and he asked me to take it, which i did exactly the way the asked me to take them, he told me that in three days time tat i should go and check on my hiv status, i was kind of been surprise, when i went to the hospital to check of my status, the doctor was so surprise when he saw that i was hiv negative, i did not know how i am going to thank DR OGBOLE for his good work so i decided to share with the general public on what the great DR did for me, i am so thankful to GOD, for sending DR OGBOLE to my rescue, of you are out there having same illness you can contact him so he can help you out on DROGBOLETEMPLEOFCURE@GMAIL.COM, i live in united kingdom, you can also call me if you wish on +447031948646, thanks for sharing from my experience.........................

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Your thoughts and opinions and questions and everything in between. Drop me a note!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design