May 8, 2014

The calm before the storm


I love rain.  I'm not sure if I've mentioned that before, but I love it.  Everything about rainy days makes me happy inside. When it's a thunderstorm it's even better.

Before my first international trip (Cambodia in 2009) I discovered something about myself.  I freak out easily.  I have never been so sick with fear or worry than I was during the weeks leading up to that trip.  It was terrible and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  Since then the before trip freak out has happened like clockwork.  For the week or two before any of my trips anxiety strikes.  I look for ways out of the trip and contemplate faking some kind of sickness.  During this time it isn't unusual to hear me promise that I will never travel again after the current trip.  It's completely psychological and disappears as soon as I board my flight.  This happens every single time I go somewhere. 

This trip is different. 

Last week we had a thunderstorm.  All day the clouds slowly moved in.  It was hot, humid and still outside.  Having no wind in this city is very, very unusual. There was a sense of anticipation as the day went on.  It was going to storm and I couldn't wait.  Finally, that evening I heard the thunder.  There is something extra special about the first thunderstorm of the season; it was glorious. 

I've realized that this trip is very similar to that thunderstorm.  In a very good way.  I'm less than a week away from leaving for Uganda and I am nothing but calm. I'm filled with anticipation.  I'm excited.  I'm not freaking out!  This is a first for me and it is truly amazing.  It's the calm before the storm.

And I honestly can't wait for this storm to begin.

 photo IMG_0558-1_zps6a87620f.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Your thoughts and opinions and questions and everything in between. Drop me a note!

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design